Let-off Buttons

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:55:04 EDT

Jon
  As usual; , Very clever. It looks as though one hand holds the tool  while
the other spins the eyelet. Cool!
  Dale

Here's a  procedure which has worked well for me.

Remove the old buttons by  backing out the eyescrews until the button falls.
I use a eyescrew tool  mounted in a hand-cranked drill for speed and control.

Use a Grand  Hammer Head Extracting Pliers (Schaff, pg 49, #120)
Remove the hex head  bolt and reinsert it reversed.

The fork portion of the tool straddles  the eyescrew while the hex head
supports the button firmly and squarely.  When the screw is threaded
into the button sufficiently, the button will  spin on the hex head, you will
get a feel for adequate pressure on the  pliers handle for this.
--

Regards,

Jon  Page