Fwd: PTG 2006 Convention Update

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:33:46 EDT

-------------------------------1128987226
=20
Did Everbody get this?
  Dale Erwin

PTG 2006  Convention Update

Dear Fellow Technicians,
I am Rick Florence,  Institute Director of the 2006 Annual PTG Seminar =20
and Institute.  I have recently returned from Rochester and the =20
Convention Planning Meeting and wanted to give you a preview of some  of=20
the exciting things on tap for June 21-25, 2006.  The  following is a=20
synopsis of what you will find in Rochester next  year.  Start planning=20
now to attend!

The Rochester Institute  has been designed to educate and inspire=20
technicians in three areas:
=E2=80=A2  Showcasing the work of the best technicians in the business
=E2=80=A2 Teaching new  skills through hands-on training
=E2=80=A2 Introducing ways to keep more of your  hard-earned money

Showcasing the Best Work
We have invited the best  rebuilders of our trade to bring their works=20
of art for all to see  and appreciate.  If you've observed endless=20
slide show and  PowerPoint presentations only to leave class=20
still unsure of what  constitutes a finely rebuilt piano, this event is=20
for you.

The  Rebuilders Showcase will begin the week with keynote lectures by =20
Anders Askenfelt (Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano) and  Del=20
Fandrich.  These lectures will be followed by two full days  of=20
rebuilding presentations.  Individual classes will conclude with a  mini=20
recital on the rebuilt piano, performed by students from Eastman  School=20
of Music.  Each showcase piano will then be placed in a  gallery for all=20
to inspect and play.

Other classes will showcase  skills not previously seen in PTG=20
seminars.  The Renner Team  will expand their All-Stars program to two=20
days, demonstrating  a complete action rebuild.  Andre and Christian=20
Bolduc will lead  a class through a soundboard installation, including=20
downbearing and  bridge notching =E2=80=93 all in two days.  Other classes w=
ill=20
be added  with an emphasis on showing complete work, as opposed to=20
lectures  only.

Hands-on Skills=20
Hands-on skills will be headlined by  new, multi-day programs in both=20
grand and upright regulation.   Samick and Roger Jolly have created an=20
intensive grand regulation  program using 12 pianos.  Each piano will=20
have a mentor and five  students.  Instruction will include complete=20
grand regulation  and string work.  This multi-session class will=20
consume four  days, three hours per day.  The Yamaha Team will=20
re-introduce  the Vertical Regulation Curriculum.  Running concurrently=20
with  the Samick program for three days, this program will be taught on=20
15  upright pianos, three students per piano.  These classes are not =20
intended for the casual observer, but for those who can commit to =20
multiple sessions of intense hands-on instruction.

Bob Marinelli  will offer a full day action weigh-off and design class=20
at Eastman  School of Music.   The emphasis of this class is to allow =20
all attendees to participate in the work.  You will leave this  class=20
having weighed-off an action, drilled for and inserted weights,  and=20
understanding more completely the issues of weight and action =20
mechanics.

Another new program will be an all-day Introduction to  Piano=20
Technology seminar.  This program is designed for the new  technician=20
who has recently entered the field of piano technology, or  perhaps is=20
new to a certain area of concentration.  This  multi-session class,=20
which can be attended by individual subject, or  as a complete program,=20
will cover everything from identifying beats  in tuning, to tool=20
selection, to basic understanding of the upright  and grand actions and=20
how to service them.

We have asked a large  number of our instructors to teach classes with=20
a particular skill in  mind and be available the following class period=20
(in the same  classroom) to guide interested hands-on students through=20
the  newly learned skill.  Examples of a few of the classes we have =20
scheduled in this manner are:

=E2=80=A2 Spinet and upright service  with proper and safe action removal
=E2=80=A2 Damper service and regulation
=E2=80=A2  String repairs, including loops and knot tying
=E2=80=A2 Hammer filing=20
=E2=80=A2  Player service and rebuilding
=E2=80=A2 Principles of tuning

Another new and  exciting class for Rochester will be Hammer Design,=20
with Ray Negron  from Ronsen Piano Hammers.  Ray will not only discuss =20
hammer manufacture and design, but will have one of his presses in =20
class and will press a set of hammers as part of his  lecture.

Holding On To Your Money
New to Rochester this year will be  a dedicated Business Seminar on=20
Saturday afternoon.  If you have  struggled in any aspect of running=20
your business, chances are we will  have a class tailored to your=20
specific needs.  The money you will  save by implementing business=20
strategies taught in these classes will  pay for your attendance=20
not only this year, but in years to  come.  Some of the topics covered=20
will  include marketing, business management, appraisals, client and =20
inventory control, health insurance, medical-spending accounts, tax =20
planning, and retirement. =20

Many other classes and events  are planned for Rochester.  Information=20
will be posted on the  convention web page http://www.ptg.org/conv/2006,=20
so check it  often beginning November 1, 2005. If you have made it this=20
far,  thanks for your time.  I look forward to seeing you and learning =20
with you in Rochester, New York, June 21-25, 2006.

=20

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

An embedded message was scrubbed...