Mona Lisa effect

dknabe@airmail.net dknabe@airmail.net
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:14:54 -0500 (CDT)

My point is that every manufacturer wants to create brand loyalty with
whatever unique aspects of their product that customers might like. If
they can defend the position with trademarks, or if the coveted “feature”
is hard to duplicate, all the better.

AMG is a good example for our purposes. A hot rod shop (AMG) in Germany
figured out how to make Mercedes better. AMG was so successful in
improving the base product that MB decided that they could exploit the
performance image and improve their sales even more. Thus MB bought AMG,
and invested further in creating the now combined MB-AMG performance
image. This is a great example of extending a product into new market
segments.

I’ll leave the exact analogy for the improved (D+) Steinways to the reader.

P.S. Harley Davidson ended up without a trademark on the sound.

Abandoning the application to register the trademark, the Company has
reasoned that, "If our customers know the sound cannot be imitated, that’s
good enough for ... Harley-Davidson."

All the best,
Doug Knabe
Dallas