Reinbach Piano

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 10:34:43 -0600

Hi David,
My first few birds resulted in me choosing to tune with a split rubber mute
for everything.
I tried to use the "papps" mute first but did not like to listen to the buzz
on impact of the tuning hammer.  With the split rubber mute, One can start
any where and tune chromatically using an ETD. The only thing that is a
little anoying is that one must unlatch the action on the ends, remove the
( usually one ) large round nut holding the action in place, and tip the
action slightly forward to move the mute.
This is only necessary for a couple of octaves in the middle to the top of
the dampers.
To use the split mute with a 10 inch spring steel handle I mute the outside
strings and tune the center string first.
 Then the right to the center by moving the mute to the left of the unison.
Next the mute is moved to the next unison to mute the two outside strings
and at the same time allow the left string of the first note to be tuned to
the center string of its unison.
Always at the breaks, one must use a different way of muting, as the struts
will usually be in the way, but it is no big deal.
There is a pattern of moving the mute that requires only one move per note,
but, it confuses me so I NEVER USE THAT WAY <g> Getting on the wrong pin is
not a good thing.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com