Topics for Technicals

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 06:50:40 -0700

Hi, Greg.  I have the same job in my chapter.  I'm in my second year.  I
agree with Alan, having a real expert like Don Mannino is a real treat.  He
gave a class for our chapter last year.  We've also had many factory reps,
like Joe Swenson from Geneva International, head technician from
Bosendorfer, Baldwin, Bechstein, Seiler, and others I can't remember.
Check with local dealerships and see if they can't get someone out there to
give your chapter a class.
It's my belief that the older techs should give classes to help the less
experienced ones.  Some of the best meetings I remember were hands-on demos
of the very procedures needed to pass the RPT exam.  We did rebushing of
flanges, stringing a model of a piano (maybe half dozen tuning pins, mock
bridge, agraffes and hitch pins), replacing hammershanks, etc.  Of course,
I was new at the time, but everyone was involved and it was a great
meeting.
I will admit I'm having a hard time getting some of the older guys to help
with presentations.  I have some promises, but most want to do it later in
the year.  I gave last months class, and I'm having to give this months'
too.  It's a question I'm struggling with also- how do I interest the older
members.  Even at the meetings with factory reps doing the class, I found
many of the older guys did not attend.
That said, I'll mention some classes that we've had: a class on polyester
repair; how to level keys with various devices and methods; how to choose
replacement parts for grand actions to get the lowest friction, up/down
weight; a business class to help maximize profits and organize time; key
repair/rebushing, alignment procedures on different player systems like
Pianodisc and QRS Pianomation; restringing a piano from start to finish
(how to do- we didn't actually restring one); many classes on voicing and
related string issues like levelling, spacing, etc; damper regulation,
replacement, related issues; class by a Mohawk rep on finish touchup;
tuning techniques, hammer selection (impact types, various new designs),
hints addressing stability in tuning; good old-fashioned aural tuning
techniques and selection of tuning test notes, etc.  You can look at old
Journals and find articles on just about any topic, and especially classes
that you've attended at conventions or seen described in the convention
class schedule.  Ask around at your chapter meeting and try to find out who
does rebuilding, or has some specialty that they do particularly well, and
ask them to give the class.  The more they get involved, the more likely
they are to attend the meetings.
Good luck!

Paul McCloud
San Diego