Mona Lisa effect

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:20:31 +0200

Hi Dale

Its the pits aint it ?  Its like you cant win for loosing.  You almost
have to get an order for such a rebuild or you run great risks at siting
on it.  That is unless you can get somehow into the marketing game....
but if you do that well...you have to sell your soul, at least more then
is comfortable for most of us.  Sad thing is that I am sure your piano
is just wonderful, as no doubt is Ron Nossamans, as was the Overs
instrument I saw in Reno (despite the capstan problem at the time). I
mean really... how could they be otherwise ? Competant rebuilders doing
what they love most and puting their own heart and soul into the thing.
They no doubt have their own character, but the quality built into them
is hard to dispute from any perspective.

I guess thats why I harp on about all this Steinway bashing.  I mean
they really are caught in between a rock and a hard place in the first
place. And in the second place... putting your heart and soul into
building the best you can has to just stand on its own.  Injection of
all the bitterness I hear just detracts from the glitter of what YOU've
got. Bad sales tactics... at least for the guy chasing the pack.  Bad
anyways from a ethics point of view IMB.  Still... politics is a rotten
game, and marketing is as close an allied art to politics as you can get
me thinks.

Hopefully, things like the PTG initiative to set up a rebuilders section
at the exhibitions hall might help out a bit.  And if they opened and
encouraged visits by the general public then perhaps a ball might get
rolling that might turn into something bigger.  Lots of potential in
this direction me thinks.

Grin... Maybe I'll have to get you to come over here and walk me through
a C I know about that would be really neat to rebuild.  Late 1800's,
Case still in tact... actually sounds pretty ok given its history... but
all the tell tale signs of age mind you.  Ivory inlay logo in the
front.... classy.  Needs a lot of work tho to make it look new
again....  Well, its nice to dream anyways.

Cheers
RicB

-----------------
Ric
   In the spirit of dispassionate reality   I have to agree with your
assessments of the situation.  It is what it  is.
  I've got a Killer remanufactured D for sale . One of  the best I've
heard.
I really love the sound of this piano as have the masses  that have heard &
played it  but if a tech, company or whomever has no  effective
marketing avenue
to sell such an item  & make profit  & do it again  then it sits unsold.
Now
as it stands with me  now   I won't be buying any D's to speculate on
again.
No what I  mean?To much money invested to long. So in my book marketing is
everthing. A  nine foot anything is a tough sell I know but This is a
standout
piano.   Ready to go  & can now be seen at the L.A. Atelier
  At the end of the day if you can't sell a product then  your done. So
advertising guys go with what works & I can't blame them a  bit. I may
not agree
with it but if it's working then they/we stay in  business.
  Dale Erwin