Keytop trimmin'

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:37:33 -0700

David I asked/said: "Ok Joe...
I didn't know there was a plethra of different thickness keytop =
materia=3D
l to choose from.  Why not describe how you make up the difference =
betw=3D
een keytop material and ivory for instance...you have keytop material =
a=3D
s thin as ivory?   Would you want it that thin?   If you don't care =
abo=3D
ut thickness difference how sharp height in relation to keytop?   How =
a=3D
bout fresh material to glue to?  =20
I'm wondering if you are shooting from the hip again...
David (hopefully not shooting from the hip) Ilvedson..."

David et al,
Yes there is a "plethora" of thicknesses, albeit not enough, IMO. =
Ivorine: .050" and .060", of which I use and have found that this is the =
best "replacement". Of course, it's a good idea to see how much =
clearance is available BEFORE you take the keys out to do the work! If =
the piano does not afford sufficient clearance at the tail, in regard to =
the key upstop rail/fall board, then there is no way, OTHER than to =
"mill" a few thousandths off of the key stick. However, what I =
constantly see is MAJOR PLANING of the keystick, which, IMO, is just not =
necessary. There are many ways to make it all work out properly, other =
than chewing off copious quantities of the keystick. This does include =
the relationship of the sharps.
As for the "Moulded Keytop Material", I consider it garrrbagggge! It =
varies from 0.70" all the way up to, an including .130"!!! That's the =
first thing I don't like about it. The second thing is: it assumes that =
all keys are uniform....NOT! Third thing is: the type of plastic to make =
this stuff is of a substandard quality that is next to impossible to =
buff out! Fourth, the thicknesses vary markedly from set to set!!! (from =
the same supplier/manufacturer!) Yikes!
As for keyfronts, the separate ones are preferable. However, there is =
only one Supplier that stocks the .030" type, that is useable. However, =
it happens to be made of the same type of plastic as the moulded tops! =
Yikes! When using it, one has to be very meticulous not to scratch it, =
etc. Anything over .040" thick for fronts will more than likely cause =
problems, IMO. I hope this answers your question(s).<G> (probably more =
than you wanted/needed to know.<G>)
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police