old timers

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 06 Oct 2005 06:04:55 -0500

Rick,

At 10:35 PM 10/5/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>This one is for all the techs who were in business during the 70's gas
>crisis. My question is, how negatively did it affect your income? I'm
>wondering what to expect in Jan.Feb.etc. with heating costs expected to
>double, gasoline @$3 a gal. etc.
>
>Thanks,
>Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

I wasn't in business yet when the Nixon oil embargo hit, but I was just
getting going during the Carter odd-even gas rationing and >20% mortgage
interest rate era...

The odd-even made me more efficient in how I scheduled my tunings -
clumping them in areas or making a "string of pearls" (circuit) to avoid
any backtracking during the day.  I also tried to hit heavily traveled
roads during their "off-peak" hours. Four miles of City Line Avenue (Phila)
at 5:15PM on a Friday could suck as much gas as 40 miles of "normal"
driving - and take longer...

As a college tech, I don't have that problem anymore, but I did just buy an
little econobox car for those 98% of my private business calls where I know
I won't be needing my pickup to haul things. The pickup will get used
weekends to schlep chainsaws, etc. to get wood for my fireplace insert.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.