Paint recommendations for sharps?

Kerry Cooper brispiano@optushome.com.au
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 21:58:41 +1000

Thump,

I have found that a good set of ebony sharps can be sprayed with black
lacquer. I find that the best finish is 60 - 70% gloss. I would not use
paint as it does peel off after a time.

To apply the black lacquer, you must prepare the sharps well.
	1.	Clean the sharps with metho.
	2	Sand the tops of the sharps with 400 wet & dry (FLAT on top)
	3.	Place sharps in spray rack so they cannot move.
	4.	Apply even coats of lacquer, allow to dry between each coat,
and lightly sand if left over night.
	5.	After you have the desired thickness, (normally 4 to 6 thin
coats) give a finishing sand with 800 wet & dry, then polish with a felt wad
(Hammer Felt is best) using a good car polish.

This is not a fast process, however, if you take your time, I think you will
like the finished product.

Cheers

Kerry Cooper

Kerry Cooper
Australasian Registered Piano Technician (ARPT)
Brisbane Piano Centre
(07)3809-0652
0412-033-379
brispiano@optushome.com.au