News and Rochester

Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:17:13 +0100

Thanks, Ron and congratulations. My original comment on your action still
stands - if only as a distant observer - "Elegant" was the word I used.
Have a good break both of you.
Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: Overs Pianos [mailto:sec@overspianos.com.au]
Sent: 04 October 2005 13:38
To: Pianotech
Subject: News and Rochester

Hi all,

Firstly, my apologies for not taking an active part in list
discussion over the past couple of months. Its been a bit hectic down
here, and the business landscape for us now seems to be improving.

A month ago we fitted an Overs action to a new Samick 225 grand
piano. Two 225 Samicks were exhibited at the Australian Music
Association Convention (AMAC) on the Gold Coast. One piano had a
standard Renner action with Kluge keyboard, while the other had an
Overs action. I used a standard Samick 225 keyboard for mounting the
action, since I had one lying around.

The pianos were not identified on the exhibit. One had a letter A
while the other had a letter B. We decided to put the B on the Overs
actioned piano in an attempt to prevent people assuming that the A
piano was the one with our action. Convention attendees were invited
to play both pianos and name the one which they preferred from a
touch and response perspective. The Renner actioned piano was
virtually straight out of the box. So to make the comparison more
credible, I only regulated the Overs action once before taking it to
the exhibition. It certainly wasn't at concert standard.

Over the three days of the AMAC convention, over thirty people chose
to fill out the form provided for them to state why they preferred
one piano over the other. Of these, 85% chose the Overs actioned
piano, and of that 85%, 40% were extremely enthusiastic about the
performance of the Overs action.

We were quite encouraged by this comparison, but we realise that one
swallow doesn't make a summer. Nonetheless, the responses we got are
quite typical of the responses we have had for the new action.

During early September Rick Florence from the PTG phoned to invite us
to exhibit in Rochester next year. At the time I wasn't sure that we
would be able to attend. However, I can now confirm that we have sold
an Overs 225 grand piano (No. 6) to a client in Boston. Our client
was informed about the PTG invitation to exhibit in Rochester prior
to him placing an order. He has given his approval and is
enthusiastic about us exhibiting no. 6 at Rochester. So, unless
something untoward happens between now and June 21, 2006, we will be
bringing No. 6 to Rochester. This will be a major event for us, and
we are very much looking forward to exhibiting one of our pianos on
the eastern side of the US. I am also looking forward to catching up
with many of you who we met in Reno. Next June it will be five years
since the Reno exhibit.

My wife Kristie and I are taking a few days break tomorrow until
Sunday. Next week we look forward to commencing work on the
production of No. 6.

Regards,
Ron O.
--