Measuring soundboard thickness

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

As you say, such tools and measurements are of more
interest to researchers and those who design the
boards.

Let's say you are interested in piano design and you
come across a couple of Steinways, same model, built
50 years apart.  One sounds great, the other one
doesn't.  They look similar enough.  The scale is the
same.  Both have the same amount of crown, the ribs
look similar, even the grain is similar looking.  One
could simply say: "The wood is different, they don't
make them out of that good old wood any more."

On the other hand, what if the acoustic difference is
due to soundboard profile changes (intended or not)?
Maybe they have changed the thickness profile in the
intervening years and that is the primary cause of the
tonal difference.  You would not know this unless you
measured.  One can save a lot of time by comparing
things that others have already taken time to build.

People have done a lot of work measuring the thickness
profile of the plates on old Italian violins without
any intention of replacing them.  Things can be
learned by measuring and comparing.  When I saw the
tool I described, the violin maker was trying to
assess the potential tone quality of an old violin
that had no bridge or strings on it.  To save himself
the time of fitting a new bridge and stringing up the
instrument, he did a quick check of the thickness
profile and told the customer that the violin would
probably have a rather bright sound.  I have no idea
how accurate his statement was, but he may be able to
draw such conclusions.

Vladan

=========================
Terry wrote:

But that begs the question: why would anyone need to
know the panel
thickness? Seems to me that in some situations one may
be curious of the
original panel thickness if one were replacing the
soundboard, but then one
would have the luxury of measuring with the panel out
and could use
destructive techniques if need be. But what would you
use that info for if
you were not going to replace the soundboard?

Terry Farrell

http://mail.yahoo.com