Measuring soundboard thickness

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 08:53:36 -0500

I've always been intrigued by the routed groove I've seen around the
perimeter of a Seiler soundboard. If you were rebuilding a piano with
otherwise good board but the panel was thicker than what you wanted, I
wonder what kind of results you could achieve by routing a similar
groove. In such experimentation it would certainly be helpful to know
what the panel thickness was.

Has anyone tried such a technique? At least around the tail area and
bass side. It seems it could yield results similar to floating the board
in the bass area.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Saturday, October 01, 2005 4:28 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Measuring soundboard thickness

I do not design soundboards, but I do build them. I am not aware of any
good
way to measure panel thickness when glued to the piano rim, except to
measure with calipers at the nosebolt holes and at the belly rail edge
(that
will certainly give you a general idea).

But that begs the question: why would anyone need to know the panel
thickness? Seems to me that in some situations one may be curious of the

original panel thickness if one were replacing the soundboard, but then
one
would have the luxury of measuring with the panel out and could use
destructive techniques if need be. But what would you use that info for
if
you were not going to replace the soundboard?

Terry Farrell