Reglue Butt Leather

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 11:08:31 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

From: Pianotech=0D
Date: 09/30/05 21:13:00=0D
To: Pianotech=0D
Subject: Re: Reglue Butt Leather=0D
 =0D
----- Original Message ----- =0D
=0D
 Terry...Undo the tapes and support the action at 45 degrees. Then dab ea=
ch
Butt leather with boiling water using a small paint brush. Don't apply it
like I read from someone on this list, who applied CA glue and had it
running everwhere!!!.... Repeat painting with boiling water two or three
times and the leather should just about fall off. I thought of steam, but=
think the escaping steam close to other parts could be a problem.=0D
 =0D
This sounds like you are doing this without removing the hammer butts. Is
that correct? As far as removing the original butt leather, I don't need =
steam anything - that is the affliction with this piano, the leather has
come unglued - they fall out already!=0D
 =0D
I normally remove the hammers and holding about 10 Butts with my thumb an=
third fingers making sure that the tapes are also being held out of the w=
ay
I then suspend the butt leather just on top of boiling water in a saucepa=
for as long as it takes to wet the leathers. No more than 2-3 seconds.=0D
It takes about 10-15 minutes to do a full set twice. Most of the leathers
just drop off into the boiling water=0D
 =0D
Now I'm confused - you are removing the hammer butts (I'm assuming you do=
n't
really remove the hammers from the shanks)? And, like I said, it is not a
problem removing the original leather - it is falling off. My question is
for gluing the new leather in - can that be done without removing the ham=
mer
butts?=0D
 =0D
  ...Just another thought...how are you going to manage cutting the leath=
er
to the right width if you don't own a guillotine? =0D
 =0D
I do own a guillotine. I just haven't been able to find it for the past y=
ear
or two. There are ways for absent-minded people to compensate. ;-)=0D
 =0D
And actually, I haven't decided whether to recommend replacement of the
leathers or to simply re-glue the originals. The originals are in good sh=
ape
 although they do have the jack imprint in them. The regulation on the pi=
ano
was good as it was - I have some concern that new leather would then need=
be followed with action regulation - and of course, the owner of this Win=
ter
spinet does not wish to do that!=0D
 =0D
Where is my next soundboard order so that I don't have to be subjected to
this kind of work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ;-)=0D
 =0D
Terry Farrell=0D
 =0D
Robin Stevens ARPT=0D
South Australia =0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
I'm looking for opinions on how much time should be required to re-glue 8=
8
hammer butt leathers on a Winter spinet (don't ask - family heirloom).=0D
 =0D
Also, can this be done without removing the hammer butts from the rail (I
can't imagine how....)?=0D
 =0D
Interesting (and crappy) piano - 1949, aluminum plate (Alcoa), independan=
lyre, fancy case - this one is in good original condition.=0D
 =0D
Thanks.=0D
 =0D
Terry Farrell=0D