Definition of Voicing

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:35:06 +0100

Hi Guy.

Agreed with the control thing.   Foreseen that it goes in both =
directions :  to make a real good voicing job, you must be able to let =
the piano take control on you, and you must be able to follow her to =
where she wants to bring you, and be willing to hear the things she =
could tell you, even if it is not what you expected.  Forcing a piano to =
sound like you wanted instead of helping her sound like she is meant to =
can be disappointing, isn't it ?  Accepting the personality of the =
instrument is very important in my eyes (and ears).  And so is giving up =
your own expectations to follow and match hers.

Best regards.

St=E9phane Collin.

  Exactly. That's why I always "simplify", when trying to educate the =
customer. I've found that most players want control. Period. Brightness, =
darkness, charm, etc., are just traits. When selling a service, be it =
regulating or voicing or whatever, I usually come back to that one word. =
Control. So, voicing would be the service of providing the player with =
control of the instrument's tone. JMO

  Guy Nichols, RPT
  Ft. Stinkin' Desert, NM