Questions (string scales)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:24:37 -0800

I think you want this book. The first 1/3rd or so is a description
of how scales are done, and the rest is scales for a bunch of pianos. I
think they are all calculated with a computer program rather than being
data from actual pianos.
"Guide to Restringing" by John W. Travis. There are apparentny two
editions, 1972 and 1982, you want the 1982 edition.

I wouldn't waste my money! It only has plain wire dimensions. IMO, the scaling of the Bass is far more important. Also, through the years, I've found many errors in this publication, some by the author and some by the fact that the manufacturer's work force couldn't get it right on a consistant basis.

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I