Tone Production by the Pianist

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:54:03 -0500

This is where science meets art. As techs, we can quantify 'what' is
happening physically.
As musicians and opinionated listeners, we hear and feel from a different
perspective.
The difference is in the 'meaning' of what is played and intended by the
pianist, and/or perceived by the listener.  As a pianist, when I am
completely engaged by the music I'm feeling, I could get the meaning across
on the worst of pianos.  But, if I'm not in the mood, it doesn't matter how
good the piano is.

Ultimately, the purpose of music is the transmission of
thought/emotion/meaning from the artist to the listener.  With enough intent
and purpose, a great pianist can melt your heart using a spinet.
Menachem Pressler can play Mary Had a Little Lamb, and imbue it with such
depth as to make you cry.
A synthesizer can play Bach faster and more accurately than even Glenn
Gould, but it would never
give me the same chill down my spine.

Conversely, a schmaltz-charlatan can woo people who are pre-disposed to
believe that they are in the
presence of 'greatness'. The "Emperor's New Clothes syndrome" has allowed
many poorly rebuilt Steinways to
be cast in a favorable light, simply by reference to the lore of Steinway.

Recognizing the connection between physical/measurable things and
emotional/subjective things, can be the
link to really communicating with an artist or everyday customer.   With
that perspective, you can address the physical/objective things that can be
done, while allowing for the wide range of subjective perceptions of various
pianists and listeners.

If a piano note is played by a falling tree in the forest...is it music?
I guess I'm saying that it is meaningful or good, because we say it is, not
because it is objectively so.
What do you call a good meal? A good haircut?  A good 'significant other'?
Beautiful piano tone is in the hear of the beholder.

Best regards,

Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com