Humidity & voicing

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:48:54 -0800

Hi, Marcel,

At 12:18 PM 11/25/2005, you wrote:
>I'm noticing some voicing changes with humidity changes. Have any of you
>noticed the same. I suspect the hammers get harder when dry. There is a
>different quality to the attack compared with the same in damper summer
>weather.
>
>I'd like to find out how these factors affect others on the list.

Yes, very definitely.  It seems to depend on any number of
factors...type of hammer (hard/soft pressed), how (if at all) the
hammer has been "treated", etc.

I've had some interesting experiences with instruments used in
less-than-perfect conditions with things as off the wall as simply
"drying" the hammers out a bit with a hair dryer.  In one such case,
the instrument was an S&S B which lived in a jazz club which was
located under a pier...the ocean literally just steps from the outer
wall and what might be called primitive HVAC.  Anyway, among the
other problems the instrument had, the voicing changed radically and
rapidly, sometimes in the course of half a set.  One rainy day, the
instrument was particularly mushy sounding and there was no time to
do anything "properly", so I borrowed a hair dryer and, in the 15
minutes before the house opened, madly heated up the hammers.  While
certainly not perfect, there was enough improvement to get through the evening.

The longer term remedy was to wait until the club was closed the next
week, and then to flood the hammers with a 10:1 Lacquer Thinner to
Lacquer solution and then let it sit for a couple of days to fully
dry out.  (I chose not to use Acetone specifically because I wanted
the hammers to be as consistently treated as possible.  Acetone
flashes off too quickly for something like this.)  There was some
shaping and needle work to be done, but less than I had imagined
there would be.  Best was that the voicing was then at least
nominally stable for the balance of the season.

To be sure, one would have had to try something different on an
instrument with different style hammers.

Best.

Horace