Tone Production by the Pianist

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:22:31 -0700

John,
     The archives are full of this one, but I'm not sure what the subject
lines will look like. As for explaining the physics, that's your trick
question. As a tech, I can reduce the action characteristics down to
numbers, but as a player and knowing real players, I have to admit that
there are unmeasurable factors. "Love" is as good as any, when you're
talking about a feedback loop such as a piano. I have watched a superior
piano teacher produce tone with her pinky that I couldn't reproduce.
     We live in a world where easily half the people believe in an
invisible friend. Why shouldn't we be able to transcend the laws of
physics? Isn't that why we call them "laws"? I mean, the word "law" implies
that we humans created it, and can amend it to our needs and wants.
    The various responses that could follow your query may not resolve any
lingering doubts, but life is full of mystery. Enjoy.

Guy