A-435 - strings and winds

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:44:44 -0800

Horace --
=20
For the most part I agree with you. I was at Kendun Recorders, in =
Burbank.
Much smaller rooms than the ones you mention, and doing mostly session =
work.
Lots of Motown stuff kept so many studios alive back then. Like I said, =
was young and naive. Steel A and E strings on the violins, eh. I had no
idea.
=20
-- Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Horace Greeley
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 1:12 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: A-435 - strings and winds

Geoff,

Yes - been there, done that; and, did a huge amount of studio work in LA
during the same period.  Again, listening carefully to what was =
recorded, it
was the winds which drove the pitch up.

On top of that, think about the atmosphere in most studios, particularly =
as
to temperature.  Under the lights, it can get very warm; and a couple of
feet away, the HVAC could have the temperature down in the 60s =
(especially
in TV land).  Think about the drop in pitch of a piano under similar
circumstances and apply the same logic to strings.  If they do not start
"sharp", they have no hope of keeping up with what is going on around =
them.
This doesn't mean that there were folks who were obnoxious about this =
kind
of thing and took advantage, of course there were.  There were also a =
fair
number of fiddle players who used steel A strings (as well as E) so that
their sound would cut.  Not all the studios had Neumann, B&K and Schoeps
mics yet that would replace the older condenser and carbon ribbon mics
(which are finally making a real comeback).

Studio tuning was different then, too, for that matter.  The standard =
fee
ranged between $20 and $25 for most places, $35 - $40 for upper-end or =
solo
piano work.  The tuner's day often started around 6 a.m..  One very
well-known tuner in the period used to boast about doing 4 - 5 "tunings"
before 8:30 a.m..  Most of the pianos were pretty nasty, too.  For every
good one, there were five or six dogs.

It is important, too, to remember that, being realistic, this is now a
couple of generations ago.  In general, what passed for a "tuning" under
most circumstances wouldn't get through the day in a college practice =
room
today, to say nothing of temperament.  What consistently mattered most =
was
unisons that held through a session without needing a touch up.  =
Considering
that one often had 30 minutes or less to "tune" (and, oh, by the way, =
"touch
up" the voicing and regulation...for no additional charge), the most =
that
"normally" got done was fixing bad unisons.  Were there exceptions, of
course.  Group IV, Capital/Decca, Fox, MGM (later Sony), and A&M to name
just a few took pretty good care of their instruments and their tuners.
They were in the minority.  As for the rest, there is no need to make =
any of
this up.  The evidence is there in thousands of movies and TV shows.

Actually, the evidence is there for all of this whole thread.  Just shut
your eyes and listen carefully to the music tracks, filtering out the =
sound
effects and dialogue when there is any.

Cheers.

Horace