Breaking Strings

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:27:45 -0500

My understanding is those P22s have a higher tension scale design. The
result is that after 10+ years of hard playing they will start breaking.
Explain it to the customer in those terms. It is the work hardening of
the strings coupled to very hard playing. I've had good success having
Mapes or Arledge rescale for a lower tension and changing the sets.

New strings plus what Terry recommends below plus communicating to the
player to stop using his heels on the keys. Problem solved.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:18 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Breaking Strings

One good method is to shorten the blow in the troublesome area and
decrease
keydip accordingly. This serves to depower the action. If you decrease
blow
significantly, then taper the change over a few notes in the tenor. I've

done this on several lounge pianos (Yamaha C3s) that were breaking bass
strings - it has worked very well.

On an upright, you can simpy decrease key dip, add felt/cloth to the
backrail cloth to make it thicker in the bass and then adjust lost
motion.

And keep them hammers shaped!

Terry Farrell