A-435 - strings and winds

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:22:07 -0800

At 04:13 PM 11/23/2005, Stan Ryberg wrote:
>This is a most informative posting, wrapping up a number of threads
>that have appeared periodically.  I would like to suggest an
>alternative theory concerning the rise of orchestral pitch (a fact,
>not a theory...it's been 442 in Chicago for years  at Orchestra Hall).

Same at Symphony Hall in Boston.

>  After years of playing in a variety of orchestras, I've seen wind
> players having to scramble to reach the pitch level of the
> strings...the manufacturers are only responding to what the players
> have reported that they need on the job.  Having played
> on...uh..."outdated" equipment myself, I've found it necessary to
> have the instruments cut to reach modern pitch levels.  Violinists,
> in particular, strive for the brilliance that a "slightly" raised
> pitch level affords...but in old violins especially, that can
> eventually lead to the instrument going "dead" as it accustoms
> itself to the higher tension.  Solution?  Raise the ! pitch
> again!  (Until the instrument implodes...)  These are very small
> increments, to be sure, but they add up to as high as 444 in some
> orchestras...and MOST wind players will have difficulty with their
> equipment at that level!  Cause and effect, yes, but I'm not
> convinced the cause began with the wind instruments.

You are absolutely correct about pitch being constantly pushed up by
the string players - and wind instrument manufacturers merely
following the trend. I believe several major makers are now pitching
their instruments at A=442 precisely for that reason. The only reason
I mentioned wind instruments in my previous post was because that's
what affected me personally in my professional life... We were doing
fine at A=440 until the clarinettists squawked. The string players in
the program haven't yet reached the prima-donna stage where they can
throw their weight around, but if the clarinet can't tune down to the
piano - well, that's a problem that I am expected to address...

Israel Stein