Breaking Strings

lists@precisionchicago.com lists@precisionchicago.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:51:19 -0600

Long time listener, first time caller. First order of business: Thanks for the
forum... just reading for the past several months, I've gained valuable
knowledge. Keep it up, all!

Moving on...

I've got a customer (a theater) whose has their Yamaha P22 tuned weekly for a
long running show. Over the last 9 months or so, bass strings have been
breaking with increasing frequency; it's to the point now that I've replaced 5
bass strings in as many weeks. As many as 15 or 20 have broken so far.

It seems to me that the cause is hard hammers. The piano has always been
bright, but is a little more so than it used to be (this is a little hard to
gauge, since I see the change slowly over the course of a few years). There are
definitely deep grooves... I convinced the management to let me reshape the
hammers once - the string breakage slowed for a while, and then increased
again. The piano is played pretty hard, seven or eight shows a week.

Am I on the right track, or are there other causes for this type of problem?
Besides needing regulation, the piano is in good shape (no environmental or
humidity issues, etc.).

I'm guessing that I need to convince the managemnet to A) let me do more work
on the hammers, B) let me replace the hammers w/ new ones, or C) continue to
pay for string replacements and muck up my schedule on a weekly basis (and it's
two strings every time they break one - I put on a universal, then follow up
with a duplicate when it comes in... thought about tying knots, but the strings
are breaking right at the end of the winding, mostly - knot much room).

Thanks in advance for thoughts, pointers, sympathy(?)....

Mike Byrley
Chicago, IL