Recrowning - was Soundboard Crown measurement

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:12:09 -0500

Fabulous, Ron. Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us appraised.
I've had doing something similar in the back of my mind for about 10
years. I have a couple of questions.

First, and maybe I already have the answer, why do you "straighten" the
original rib top? Is it primarily to reduce the section at the tapered
ends?  It seems like the pressurized hose clamping set up would allow
the piece you are adding to conform to a pretty steep curvature.

Second, I am curious why you don't employ a variation of your webbed
ribs. Why not make your added piece wider than the original rib to give
it an I-beam effect? It could conceivably be made wider under the bridge
with the web tapered to the ends.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272