older kawai whippen assist springs

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:57:44 -0800

Kawai's spec for the downweight on some of their older KGs is something
like 60 grams. I have a KG-5, and found it a bit heavy. So after doing
the things you list below, I got out my gram weights, picked a number (I
forget what), and tweaked the springs until the weight went down.
Presto, et voila'! Lighterness was achieved.

All you have to do is pull the spring out of the loop, strengthen it by
pulling it toward you (you're working from the hammer side), put it back
in, watch the key, and repeat as necessary. I use a rep spring tool in
the right hand, and a screwdriver in the left to push the loop out of
the way. Goes pretty quick, and made me really glad those springs are there.

-Mark