Soundboard Crown measurement and evaluation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:36:39 -0600

> Time for another query from the list of what's been buggin' me.  I would
> like to know how to evaluate a soundboard's condition beyond cracks.
> I'm aware of one method of measuring the crown after searching the
> archives.

A string stretched from rim to rim between ribs, and a flashlight to
cast a shadow you can see will tell you what the crown is. Take this
measurement at every rib you can reach, not just once at the longest
rib.

> But I don't know what constitutes a GOOD or a BAD
> measurement, or WHY, exactly.

Ideally, you'd want positive bearing and positive crown, but if
board is stiff enough to sound good with positive bearing and little
or no crown in the killer octave, you often won't hear a problem.
Crown was originally intended to provide extra stiffness without
extra mass and provide an opposing spring to the string downbearing
on the bridge. Listen to the piano. Soundboard produced tone
problems (from insufficient stiffness) tend to show up in the octave
5-6 (killer octave) as short percussive attack, often with short
sustain. Since the killer octave is where you will find most of your
problems, consider it first. If it's a field service situation,
don't bother taking any measurements unless your, or your customer's
ears tell you there is a problem. Then take measurements to try and
diagnose it. Evaluating a soundboard for someone else or for
restringing, you need to be more thorough and cautious. A marginal
board will sound better, often much better in high humidity seasons
than it will in low humidity seasons. A piano with near zero bearing
and no crown in the KO that sounds reasonable in humid weather, can
easily sound really bad in the heating season. If the sound is poor
where the board is collapsed and bearing is minimal to negative, you
aren't going to fix it as a field repair.

> Is there a formula I need to figure the radius of the crown based on the
> length of that (7" removed) tangent?  What are "good" numbers?  "Bad"
> numbers?

No magic formula or checklist. It's essentially a balancing act
between compression of soundboard crown and string bearing. You will
need a fairly clear idea of how soundboards work to make an
evaluation you can feel confident with.

>What happens to sound and performance with too little crown?

Depends on the string bearing and soundboard assembly stiffness.
There might be no obvious performance penalty at all with a dead
flat board.

> Is there such a thing as too much crown?

Yes, when the lid won't close.

> Did I miss anything?

Libraries worth. There are tons of detailed explanation of this
stuff in the archives.

Ron N