High Gloss vs. Dull Finish

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:18:05 +1100

Mathew,

>I just acquired another piano to practice on.  This time I will
>practice replacing keytops AND sharps.
>
>What do ya'll use as far as high gloss sharps and the dull finish.
>Is there any particular type to use that would look better with the
>piano finish?  Or does it just matter with what I want it to look
>like?

I believe the sharps should be either plastic solid or solid wood,
but not hollow plastic. The hollow plastic sharps are very light and
they make the job of balancing an action more difficult. The solid
wooden or plastic sharps add weight to the shorter and necessarily
lighter black keys. Keys fitted with the solid sharps will feel
better, and require less lead to achieve a balance.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers