pedals

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:17:11 -0700

richard.ucci@att.net wrote:

> list,
> How do you get the pedals out of an old upright? Chainsaw? TNT?
>
> Regards,
> Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

Usually by tipping the piano on its back and removing the bottom board.
But in a pinch, you can, with difficulty, unscrew all the pedal
hardware, remove the pedal mounts from the pivot pin, then, using a
specially altered C-clamp that has a hole drilled through the "top"
(non-screwing clamping surface), push the pedal pin through the pedal
(similar to an un-pinning tool for action flanges).  It's awkward
because the clamp is too close to the bottom board to be able to turn
the clamp more than a half turn at a time.   But when it's loose, you
can tap the pin the rest of the way through with a small hammer and
punch, then pull the pedal out through the hole.  If you're going to
re-install it though, you should have a new pivot pin to press into the
pedal with the clamp, since the old one will probably have its flutes
worn off (usually the reason for replacing it in the first place).   As
I said, this is when you're really stuck and there's no other way.  But
I keep one of those altered C-clamps in the car.   [tip courtesy Jim
Harvey, RPT]
    --David Nereson, RPT