435 cps tunings/design

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:42:44 -0800

David N. Said: "Many old pianos were designed to be tuned
to A=435, and bringing them up to 440 adds more tension than they were
designed to take, but thankfully, it's not a whole lot more, and most of
them can take it. But on some of them, there's a risk of breaking a
lot of strings or the soundboard or even the plate. "

--David,
I disagree with this statement. To tune a "435" piano to 440 will add, (average), approx. 5 lbs tension per note. This is so miniscule that it should never push the strings/plate/structure beyond it's limits. Most Plates are waaaayyyy over engineered, (my guess is twice what it has to take.) Almost all string scales never exceed 55-60% of the breaking strength of the wire. And that would be on a "tightly" designed piano, which, to my knowledge, there are NONE! I am speaking of that period that is supposed to be in the "International Pitch" era. There is one piano, (a European name that escapes me at the moment), that had a very lightly engineered plate. That one, although it was purportedly designed for a pitch HIGHER than 440cps, broke plates on a regular basis!
Your statement smatters of "Urban Legend".<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I