Has anyone heard of an "a436" Piano

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:43:49 -0700

newdaymoore@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I have found that the 1890 Sohmer piano is an a436 piano.  What does
> that mean?  Does that mean that the middle C on an a436 doesn't sound
> the same in pitch as the middle C on an a440 piano when both pianos
> are properly turned?

It means that when the piano was built, it was designed so that the
pitch of A4, or A  #49 would be at 435 Hz.   435 was a pitch standard
before 440 was agreed upon.  Many old pianos were designed to be tuned
to A=435, and bringing them up to 440 adds more tension than they were
designed to take, but thankfully, it's not a whole lot more, and most of
them can take it.  But on some of them,  there's a risk of breaking a
lot of strings or the soundboard or even the plate.
    --David Nereson, RPT