Chucky Cheese

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:37:25 -0600

Bill:
=20
The saw I was using makes about twice the width kerf as a hacksaw blade. =
 I glued two pieces of veneer together and they fit the slot very =
nicely.  It is side grain oriented so we'll see how the wear goes.  They =
all felt really good when they were done.  I hope they still do next =
week!
=20
dp
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of William Ballard
Sent: Fri 11/18/2005 11:12 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Chucky Cheese

At 6:29 AM -0600 11/18/05,  David Porritt wrote:
>I'm probably the last one in the world to discover this, but it worked!

My particular version of this is that the veneer is not set on its
side so that what meets the pin is side-grain. My veneer (1/8" maple,
not 1/28") is crosscut into strips the width of my favorite file
(maybe 3/16"). Instead of cutting a kerf with a hacksaw lade (as
pictured, right?), I cut a channel with the side of my file, bearing
as you do against a BR pin to properly locate the edge of the shim.
What my maple strips present to the BR pin is end-grain, which is a
much more durable grain orientation.

I consider this the functional equivalent of new BR holes in fresh =
inlaid wood.

Mr. Bill