High Treble Unisons - attack or sustain?

Alex Galembo galembo@speech.kth.se
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:54:51 +0100

There might be discussed several related phenomena to .
1. Sympathetic vibrations from undamped strings
2. Duplex scale if any
3. Non-accurate unison tuning
4. One not previously discussed theoretical hypothesis (not proven so
far!!!!): Clavichord mode

In the treble range the strings are so short, that in physical sense
they are the most distant from the ideal string model. In the highest
(7^th ) octave strings are usually shorter than 100 mm, and for to
transfer more energy to the string modes, the hammer contact has to be
adjusted very close to the string support. In the extreme treble strings
the striking ratio (the ratio of the striking distance to the speaking
length of a string) decreases sharply down to 1/24 (0.042), or
(according to Diakonov, 1964) 1/35 (0.029) or even less. In reality, in
the extreme treble strings the striking distance is so small that in
practice it is difficult to adjust and measure it precisely enough.
More, it dynamically changes, because a real felted hammer contacts the
string not at a point, but at a string fragment, and the length of this
fragment is comparable with the striking distance

The highest octaves categorically differ from others by allowing having
the contact duration between the hammer and strings exceed the period
of the string vibration. This situation may change the function of a
hammer drastically.

First, the hammer remaining in contact with the string for extra long
time, together with being an exciter of the string vibration becomes
inevitably a damper of the same vibration, thus “killing the own child”.
Instead being spent for supporting the string modes, the hammer energy
contributes now primarily to the noisy knock element of the tone, making
it louder and harsher at the price of weakening and shortening the
pitch-conveying partials.

Second, the hammer for a significant contact time functions as an
additional string support, a “striking support”, thus exciting the modes
of the string fragment between the hammer contact point and the bridge.
In other words, *the hammer in the attack phase might behave as a
tangent of a clavichord*, exciting the pitch some sharper than the tail
(sustain portion) of the tone

It is JUST A HYPOTHESIS so far, and I would appreciate any comments and
opinions of the listers based on the tuning practice with facts
suggesting pro and contra this hypothesis.

Thank you.

Alex Galembo