Schomacker Inquiry

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:49:10 -0600

The reason why technicians hesitate to replace individual strings
rather than tie a knot and keep them is because new strings stretch,
fast.  Don't replace a broken string on a concert instrument just
before the concert season if you don't have to.  DAMHIK
If you replace all of them they fall together, fast.  If only a few,
you will have wild unisons, fast.  Re-stringing an upright is
cost-prohibitive considering how little return you can likely expect
on your investment.  When rust gets thick/deep enough you can start
getting nodes, ie single beating strings.  It comes down to a
cost/benefit ratio.  Little rust, low piano value, and likely you
will live with it.  Higher piano value, rust causing string noise, ,,,
Andrew