Hairline cracks in Treble Bridge

newdaymoore@bellsouth.net newdaymoore@bellsouth.net
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:13:33 -0500

Yesterday I did answer but I put my answer down in the text where your =
questions are and did my answers in a blue font.  But when it posted it =
just put the font in black and blended it so you cannot tell my answers =
from your questions.  So here is the answers again in the beginning of =
the email.  SORRY

The gentleman who tuned also did the repairs.  Repairs done were:  1 set =
damper felts, 1 set bridle straps, a hammer, a thorough cleaning inside, =
new key bed, a tuning and 2 ivory keys tops.  I bought the piano from a =
lady who claims the piano has been in her family since it was new.  =
Handed down from generation to generation.  Her son played it and was =
going to keep it but didn't have room in his house for it. So he went =
with a digital.  The thing that is bothering me is the techniciam who =
has done the tuning and repairs is the one who checked it out before I =
bought it from her and said the repairs listed above were all it needed =
and would be good for another generation, with tunings as needed.  He =
came and did the cleaning and removed the part that has the hammers and =
took it with him, then returned and put the piano back together, =
finished the repairs and tuned.  As soon as he left the one key began =
making this annoying sound.  He came back and discovered a few hairline =
cracks in the upper treble bridge.  He said when he checked out the =
piano at the lady's house he did overlook the bass and treble bridge.    =
I bought the piano from the lady for $230.  I bought it for my teenage =
daughter and myself.  I took lessons for years as a child and my =
daughter wants to learn.  The piano was delivered by a piano mover on =
10-04-2005, and the technician came out for the second time on =
10-13-2005 to bring back the part he took with the hammers and put the =
piano back together and tuned it.  We played the piano before he came =
out to work on it and we have been playing on  it daily since the =
repairs.  When he came out the third time to figure out the noise he put =
a sponge wedge in  between the strings and it does absorb the abnormal =
sound in the F key  (F5).  So I am concerned as to what to do from here. =
 Repair further or just chuck the piano and forget it.  I don't know if =
my husband will allow me to get another piano after this experience.  I =
will check out the web site listed below and see if there are any =
technicians in my area.  I would like a second opinion.  I went =
yesterday to a Steinway store.  I tell you either I have weird ears and =
really can't distinguish good sound or this old 1890 Sohmer has got a =
far better sound.  Those steinways sound small and faint. My Sohmer =
sound is BIG and deep.   They also had a Boston there that I played on =
and one of the keys wouldn't play.  She said it was the humidity that =
was causing the hammer to stick, that Boston was a new piano.  I =
couldn't believe it.  They will only give me $700.00 for a trade in.
  ----- Original Message -----=20