shank strike weights

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:26:30 -0500

>I'm thinking in the future of having 3 or 4 sets of shanks weighed and
>available when I change a of hammers.  That way I can make a near
>perfect match every time.

I thought of that too and really ran into a plethora of knuckle
heights five years ago.
Not only are sets not uniform but other sets have different averages.

One set may mic at .620" ave., another .650", and another .640".  It
seems to depend
on each knuckle set made and the consistency/degree to which they are
pressed in.

One set was so bad, I had to remove the knuckles completely. I still
have that set
of shanks because the previous tech installed the hammers at a 5"
radius and angled
the hammers back.  Let's just say that the customer didn't like the
sound and touch and
had the whole shebang replaced within five years.  There's another
similar one which I'm
prepping for.

If a knuckle measures upwards of .650 or lower than .620, I'll reset
the knuckle to fit
the set in progress.
--

Regards,