shank strike weights

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:23:15 EST

Hi Jon
    More good thoughts from the cape cods noreaster Tech.. I  gave a
technical on action balancing last night mostly on anaylsis &  diagnosis. It was fun.
I appreciate this taking it to the next level approach  & will try it straight
away.
  Presenting material in technical form always helps to solidify it my  own
head.
  Regards
  Dale

Ultimately the best scenario, inertially speaking, would be to graduate  the
weight of the hammer heads themselves and group same-weight/knuckle height
shanks. But most hammer sets are
so erratic in individual weights that it takes invasive procedures to  have
them comply.

Matching shank SW to hammer weight has proven to require minimal
intervention for
a smooth SW curve.

First, I bore and taper the hammers.
Weight them and plot them on a graph.
Select shanks accordingly and install them on the rail. (# on underside  next
to knuckle)
Hang hammers.
Remove h/s/f from the rail.
Cut the protruding shank off with a band saw and rough cut an arc.
Set up fence to trim tails on disk sander to even length.
Arc tails.
Weigh SW and plot on chart
Adjust SW
Install h/s/f on rail.

I sounds like a lot of work but it goes fast. I like to arc the tails  after
hanging the hammers
to produce a nice finished edge. I also ease the edges (sides and bottom)  of
the tail molding
to remove the sharp corners with a file.

--

Regards,

Jon Page