Infrared non-contact Thermometer

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:58:50 -0700

At 09:17 AM 11/13/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>It has been my experience in testing that the infrared temp devices also
>need what is called an " emissivity " (sp?) adjustments depending on the
>surface type you are pointing it at.  This is due to the fact that it is a
>reflective device.  Soooooo  if the adjustment is not correct for the
>surface, then the temp will be a bit off.   I dont think this is a HUGE
>variance in temp, but saying this just so folks are aware.
>The temps you get will still likely be a generic average that is usable.
>I'm not trying to make a big deal about nothing, but just so you are aware
>thats all.
>
>Dave McKibben

Oh yeah,
    When I was testing for class date, I developed a "consistency target",
so-to-speak. With my "cheapie" version, it was best to measure at two
inches, and about 30 degree angle. Also, for certain fluctuation tests (we
cooked a D, several times), I placed masking tape marker targets on the
struts. So..... agreed. A generic usable average. Cool thing about
averages, when you've got a ton of readings, they're pretty reliable.

Regards,
Guy