JIV-jumping into voicing

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:38:41 -0800

>   That said the goal is for an improved tone even if , in your own ears, =
it's
> not perfect. People/clients who really have ears to hear will except any
> improvement as a pleasure in the right direction. Truth be told there are=
 sooo
> many lousy sounding pianos in the field because no one is asking the ques=
tions
> you are or at least not bothering to stab a few needles etc to risk for
> something possibly great!
>  How I wish the bad habit of tune & run to the next tuning could be remed=
ied.
>  It's not real customer service IMHO.
>   I think I just changed the topic. Oh My!
>   Dale Erwin

Great words.  In 25 years of working on pianos in LA, with the last 10 or s=
years mostly dedicated to good and expensive grand pianos, the number of
pianos that had been maintained in any realm beyond tuning before I came on
them was, and is, miniscule....1 or 2 percent, literally.  What a joke.
And a tragedy, really, for our profession.  All this talk, endless talk,
about pianos, and service, and how to do this and that with pianos, and the=
the harsh reality:  almost nobody=B9s actually doing it in good grand pianos
in LA. Why?  Because =B3tune & run=B2  is the easy money. A no-brainer.  The
average guy here charges $100-120.  Do six tune-and-runs a day, and you=B9re
living large.  Do it five days a week, and it=B9s 3 grand a week, and baby=B9s
got a new pair o=B9 shoes.

On the other hand, just shoot me now if that=B9s what I have to look forward
to: average clients, piano after piano in bad mechanical and tonal shape,
and propagating the paradigm of =B3I don=B9t give a rat=B9s ass, so why should my
clients?  Why should I educate them about tone and touch when it=B9ll just
slow me down, make me work and acquire new skills, work new muscles, and
(the final nail in the coffin:)
=8Canyway, none of my clients care or can hear or feel the difference.=B9=B2

What a crock of s**t.  Everybody can hear and feel the difference,
including, first and foremost, YOU.

Don=B9t be a sellout.  Learn how t work on pianos past the tuning, and quit
telling your self destuctive things, like nobody can hear or feel the
difference....quit being so dang negative.

End of rant.  Thank you.

David Andersen