Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch - Phase II

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:56:58 -0600

'Twas but a jest. I actually have a piano in mind that is going to get the same treatment. <G>

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: Pianotech
Sent: 11/10/2005 5:31:07 AM
Subject: Re: Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch - Phase II

"this hammer will NOT pass the Technical exam"

I wouldn't find that surprising. But please keep in mind that these hammers do not meet the minimum criteria for use in a piano to start with - they are old, excessively/poorly filed in the past, and really need to be replaced. The budget would not allow hammer replacement. My objective was to eliminate the full one-inch contact surface and produce something closer to the egg-shape in the contact area and not worry about the shoulders of the hammer - again, because so much felt had been removed/worn from these hammers over the life of this piano, I wanted to leave as much weight as possible - and a $50 improvement was much more in line with my client's thinking rather than a $1K hammer replacement job.

Terry Farrell