Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch - Phase II

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:36:52 -0500

I have to agree with you that a belt sander CAN be extreme. But extreme
situations sometimes call for extreme measures. These hammers were really
flat on top. I used a smallish (probably 3x18) hand-held belt sander with a
50 grit belt (the belt was not new - it was a bit dull). When gang filing
ten or so hammers at a time, with hammers supported with a voicing block,
there really wasn't any trouble controlling the rate of felt removal.

I agree though that if there is less felt to remove, start with the least
aggressive tool that will reasonably get you where you want to go.

Terry Farrell