Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch - Phase II

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:29:44 -0500

"this hammer will NOT pass the Technical exam"

I wouldn't find that surprising. But please keep in mind that these =
hammers do not meet the minimum criteria for use in a piano to start =
with - they are old, excessively/poorly filed in the past, and really =
need to be replaced. The budget would not allow hammer replacement. My =
objective was to eliminate the full one-inch contact surface and produce =
something closer to the egg-shape in the contact area and not worry =
about the shoulders of the hammer - again, because so much felt had been =
removed/worn from these hammers over the life of this piano, I wanted to =
leave as much weight as possible - and a $50 improvement was much more =
in line with my client's thinking rather than a $1K hammer replacement =
job.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20

  We allas incourage new idears, and we bin totally with ya up 'til now, =
good buddy, but ah'm koncerned the butter mighta just slid offen your =
noodle quite a bit, this time ...

  In any event, this hammer will NOT pass the Technical exam -- unless =
you first convince the examiner to try that new method of using alcohol =
on hammers. You know, where ya drink it first and then apply liberally =
to the action with an even back and forth spray. I believe that =
tecknique arigionated in New Awlins, Lousyana, or maybe that's how folks =
does it up there in Saskspittoon, Suskafrashawan, Canabeer.

  Might be wrong, it happened once before ...

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri