Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:43:55 -0700

Hi Terry,
I was thinking about the difference between the two sizes and rather =
asking if the size difference of the pins would require a new board. If =
the new pins are larger there would be no issue in changing pins.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 3:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

  Not within my wildest imagination. Maybe I'm missing something here =
Joe, but why on earth would/could it even possibly require replacing the =
balance rail board? I mean like excluding termites, acid spills, fire =
and woodchucks.

  Terry Farrell
    ----- Original Message -----=20

    Would it also require replacing the balance rail board?
    Joe Goss RPT

    ----- Original Message -----=20

      =20
      Indeed, that is what I would like to do, but as I stated in my =
original post, "I don't see that the supply houses offer plated/steel =
pins in the Yamaha size." Are you aware of a source for plated key pins =
for Yamaha - front rail =3D 0.125-inch and center rail =3D 0.137-inch?

      Terry Farrell
        ----- Original Message -----=20

        Hi Terry,
        If you are going to rebush, why not also repin with the better =
pins, and use leather the correct size. Then you will not have the =
contamination problem with the Ballistol.
        Joe Goss RPT----- Original Message -----=20

          =20
          I've got a bunch of Yamaha C3s from cruise ships to do key =
bushings on. Many of these piano get fairly rough use 7 days per week =
(piano bar and all that). So we're searching for a better way. Some of =
these get worn out in a matter of several months.

          We've considered leather bushings, but my understanding is =
that there can be a chemical reaction between the leather and the Yamaha =
brass key pins. I don't see that the supply houses offer plated/steel =
pins in the Yamaha size.

          So maybe we need to use cloth key bushings. I heard from some =
that Renner has the most durable key bushing cloth. Any opinions on =
that?

          What about lubrication on the cloth bushing material to =
minimize friction and increase longevity? Microfine Teflon powder? But =
doesn't that just sort of fall out quickly? What about some sort of =
graphite? A synthetic grease, maybe like VJ lube? Anyone ever try =
anything like that? Any other ideas (constructive)?

          Maybe I should just stand in back of the piano player with a =
whip or a well proportioned maple 2 x 4?

          Thanks.

          Terry Farrell