Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:36:09 -0800

Very cool...I'd be interested in hearing what it sounds like...lots of =
lacquer was needed I'll bet...
David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Mike McCoy"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

Cute.... new hairpiece for the bald guys....!

Mike

Farrell wrote:
Never let it be said that I don't apply bandaids to junk pianos.

Refurbishing an action from a junk 90-year-old microgrand for a lady. N=
ot going to replace the worn-to-the-core hammers because of $$. Regulat=
ion was a main objective (among many other things). But I just couldn't=
 give her back her piano with the entire top octave hammer cores bangin=
g onto the strings.

So........ this is a first for me......... not necessarily even suggest=
ing its a good idea....... but I did it anyway........

Step 1 - file flat hammer tops real flat (I did not remove much felt fr=
om these!):

Step 2 - glue new hammer material to hammer tips:

Step 3 - sand/file, first with belt sander, then with paddle, then shoe=
-shine to shape (a little out of focus, but you get the idea):

It looks like it will work. Don't know what it will sound like. Gotta b=
e better than wood.

Anyway, FWIW. Silly ideas from silly techs.

Terry Farrell