Hammer Rebuilding - In A Pinch

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:44:55 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0074_01C5E3B2.3371D870
Never let it be said that I don't apply bandaids to junk pianos.

Refurbishing an action from a junk 90-year-old microgrand for a lady. =
Not going to replace the worn-to-the-core hammers because of $$. =
Regulation was a main objective (among many other things). But I just =
couldn't give her back her piano with the entire top octave hammer cores =
banging onto the strings.

So........ this is a first for me......... not necessarily even =
suggesting its a good idea....... but I did it anyway........

Step 1 - file flat hammer tops real flat (I did not remove much felt =
from these!):

Step 2 - glue new hammer material to hammer tips:

Step 3 - sand/file, first with belt sander, then with paddle, then =
shoe-shine to shape (a little out of focus, but you get the idea):

It looks like it will work. Don't know what it will sound like. Gotta be =
better than wood.

Anyway, FWIW. Silly ideas from silly techs.

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_0074_01C5E3B2.3371D870
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_0074_01C5E3B2.3371D870--