Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:18:47 -0600

Terry:

=20

When I rebush keys I take a pipe cleaner and get some micro fine Teflon
powder on it and rub it in the bushings after they are installed.  If
you work it in to the fabric it stays there pretty well and does help
the wear.  Polished key pins is essential too.

=20

dp

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 9:08 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Yamaha Key Bushing Replacement

=20

I've got a bunch of Yamaha C3s from cruise ships to do key bushings on.
Many of these piano get fairly rough use 7 days per week (piano bar and
all that). So we're searching for a better way. Some of these get worn
out in a matter of several months.

=20

We've considered leather bushings, but my understanding is that there
can be a chemical reaction between the leather and the Yamaha brass key
pins. I don't see that the supply houses offer plated/steel pins in the
Yamaha size.

=20

So maybe we need to use cloth key bushings. I heard from some that
Renner has the most durable key bushing cloth. Any opinions on that?

=20

What about lubrication on the cloth bushing material to minimize
friction and increase longevity? Microfine Teflon powder? But doesn't
that just sort of fall out quickly? What about some sort of graphite? A
synthetic grease, maybe like VJ lube? Anyone ever try anything like
that? Any other ideas (constructive)?

=20

Maybe I should just stand in back of the piano player with a whip or a
well proportioned maple 2 x 4?

=20

Thanks.

=20