slight damper zing on the way down

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:19:14 -0700

Hi Dave, On the wedgies one can also move the string sideways so that =
the damper will work better. Use your ll pliers. or even a screw driver =
flat blade side ways. On the flats sometimes just needeling the felt to =
bring it up or very fine grit sand paper drawn only on one half ( front =
or back ) of the damper and trim off the felt pulled out. I let only the =
weight of the damper do the work as you do not want to over do . One =
pull at a time with 300 paper. I have never had to do this on new felts, =
only the old stuff.

When the string is at rest and the damper hits slightly on its front =
edge first, the damper will be comming to rest on the speaking string =
flush, due to the amplitude of the wave of the speaking string.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:39 AM
  Subject: Re: slight damper zing on the way down

  Hi Joe,

  Interestingly, I have some on some of the tricords, and a few blocks =
that are doing it.  It isn't all of the dampers.  I don't want to mess =
much with the string level, because strings have been leveled and =
hammers have been mated. =20

  Thanks,

  Dave

  In a message dated 11/6/2005 9:42:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, =