First Tuning of a Square Grand

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:37:54 EST

In a message dated 11/4/2005 9:39:51 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Couttss@aol.com writes:

Dear List;

Any hints on the procedure to tune an 1874 Steinway Square Grand in
supposedly good shape.

Don Coutts
Associate Member
Chicago Chapter

Hi Don,

I've done a total of 1 square in my life, and it was an 1875 Steinway in
great shape.  The (probably) original oblong tuning pins had been replaced  with
square ones.  I didn't find it tremendously physically  difficult.  But of
course, I had plenty of forewarning from many on this  list.

Ric Brekne suggested that I tune  a "Broadwood's Best"  temperament.  And I
noted that written somewhere on the plate (sorry,  forget where) was the
suggested pitch.  If I recall correctly, it was  436.  It had been close to 440 when
I arrived, but decreasing the tension  and tuning in the suggested historical
temperament gave the piano a really sweet  sound.

I actually enjoyed the experience.

Good luck!  Hope this helps,

Dave Stahl