Yamaha Jumping Jacks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:53:51 -0600

> Ron, great explanation, and I concur.  Still, relegating this to merely
> "operator error" in my mind doesn't mean that this, in the end, isn't a
> design problem.  When THAT many operators are making "errors", and
> countless techs everywhere are trying various "shotgun" methods of
> compensation, it certainly would seem a design fix might be entertained
> by the manufacturer. This has been such a common problem, for so many
> years, and nearly (not totally) the exclusive domain of Yamahas, that I
> am surprised that they have not addressed this.  Seldom do I find this
> phenomenon in other pianos, even those of far lesser quality.  Given
> Yamaha's sterling track record for being able to otherwise produce
> trouble free, quality pianos on a consistent basis (more than perhaps
> any other major manufacturer) it remains surprising to me they have not
> made some design changes to fix it.  But hey, nobody's perfect, eh?
>
> Mark Potter

Mark,
It's not a question of quality, but a question of intent. It's
certainly the design, and an intentional one, but I'm not so sure
it's a problem. I think it's intended as a high
performance-potential mechanism, rather than something to
accommodate the lowest common denominator. I think these actions
have a nice crisp positive feel to them that is missing in more
forgiving designs, and when new owners learn to play to the punching
rather than the jack toe contact, they are quite happy with them.
You can swing a power drill and drive a nail to make a hole, but
using the drill as it was designed to be used will expand your hole
horizons. Or you can ask that the drill be redesigned with a longer
handle for better leverage and greater impact power...

My take.
Ron N