Yamaha Jumping Jacks

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 21:19:13 -0800

Follow-up to my previous post, (below). Please bear with me.

I had the opportunity to do preps on two new out-of-the-box Yamaha uprights
today, so I did a little experimenting with this double-strike phenomena.
What I think I may have discovered is that it just may be operator error on
us, (or is that we), techs that is causing this.

What I found was that when pressing the key down slowly I was sort of
unconsciously pausing, just for an extremely minor moment, at the exact
instance that the jack just starts to move out from under the butt. At that
exact moment, when you are moving slowly, there is a very slight, but
noticeable, increase in resistance as the jack starts to rub against the
butt in it's move to escape. What I found myself doing was reacting to that
subtle increase in resistance and almost unconsciously changing the motion
of my finger pushing down on the key. In other words, I believe I was
perhaps actually introducing the phenomena into the system myself.

What I observed happening was that since the hammer was already in motion,
the slight pause that I was introducing allowed the hammer to continue to
move, leaving the jack and subsequently striking the string and then
bouncing back, at which point I would continue pressing the key allowing the
action to complete it cycle and giving me that second strike.

When I carefully monitored my finger movement, forcing myself to move
smoothly through that subtle point of increased resistance, I could not
reproduce the effect. It only happened again when I stopped thinking about
it. And even though the speed of the key press is within a very narrow
window, it was definitely and easily reproducible, on any key on both
pianos.

My guess is that this may turn out to be a new piano only effect. Once the
piano has been played for a while and "broken in", and the butt leather
smoothes out a little this may be impossible to reproduce at all. And as
long as I'm guessing here, I don't think anyone but a tech could even MAKE
it happen. Certainly not the person at home just playing the piano under
"normal" circumstances.

I find the combination of piano action physics and our human reactions to
what we see and feel as a result of those physics all very interesting. I'll
shut up now.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles