Blubber Pluzzler

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:54:36 -0600

Hello-

Blubbering (double striking) hammers in a vertical are not all that =
uncommon, but today I found a cause that I don't remember seeing before.

It was a new Baldwin Hamilton studio sized piano. The customer was =
complaining that several notes in the low tenor area were not =
sustaining. When I got there I found that these few notes were double =
striking and sounding like they were blocking when played lightly. =
Actually anything up to a light/moderate keystroke.

I checked the position of the let off rail and regulation in general. So =
far things looked fine. Moving the key down slowly produced let off at =
about 1/8" and there was sufficient key dip for plenty of after touch. =
Back checking was fine. I went to the worst one and to satisfy my =
curiosity, cranked the button down to where let off was about 1/2". This =
changed nothing. The hammer was still bouncing off the top of the jack. =
Only on a very firm stroke would everything cycle through as it should. =
Most of the piano was just fine. It was these few notes.

Well, it only took about five minutes to figure it out, but it was a =
long five minutes with the customer watching. Anyone want to guess on =
this one?

Dave Bunch