More reasons this job is interesting

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 08:54:42 -0500

Dave,

I have found that ear plugs really help in such a situation. They do a
great job of filtering incoherent noise which is what the reverberations
are. I use the inexpensive silicone putty you can find in any drug
store. They cover the ear opening, do not insert into the canal. You can
adjust how much they dampen by how tight you pack them in. Try it,
you'll like it.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 2:19 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: More reasons this job is interesting

Tuning a cheapo asian grand in a living room that looked like an exhibit
hall in the louvre, with white french provinicial furniture, 30 foot
ceilings, and a marble floor wasn't that fun.  In fact, I've had
nightmare fantasies about this very thing.  Sort of like if you were
tuning a piano in that scene where the starchild is born in "2001, a
Space Odyssey."  The echoes were nearly impossible to distinguish from
the beats in the unisons.  But it WAS a unique environment to be sure.

>From there, it was on to theCapital Club, on the 17th floor of that
bastion of Conservatism, the Knight-Ridder Building in downtown San
Jose, where I replaced a string, tuned, and gave an estimate for an
action bracket replacement on a Young Chang 157(the estimate was NOT
low!).  Watching the planes arrive and depart from the nearby airport
was quite a trip!

Seldom is the day when I don't have something interesting to offer my
wife in the way of dinner table conversation!  (at least I think it's
intersting...:-)

As Bill Ballard says, may life give you interesting pianos,
(and, I'll add, interesting situations in which to tune them!)

Dave Stahl